Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was born in Midnapore, in West Bengal, on September 8, 1892. His father Sir Zahid Suhrawardy was a judge in the High Court. His elder brother, Shahid Suhrawardy co-founded Pakistan PEN Miscellany with Professor Ahmed Ali.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was one of the country’s founding fathers. He remained Pakistan’s fifth Prime Minister from 1956 to 1957.
He completed a Bachelor in Business Administration. After that he did Mater in Arabic from University of Calcutta in 1910. Then he went to the United Kingdom, where he earned a degree in Master of Arts in Business and Law from Oxford University.
In 1923, he joined the Swaraj Party but after the death of Chittaranjan Das he left the party and made his own party “Bengal Provincial Muslim League”. It was basically a provincial wing of Muslim league.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy and his ministry
HE held several important positions during his political career, including
- 1924’s Deputy mayor of the Calcutta Corporation,
- After the 1937 elections, he was Minister of commerce and labor A.K Fazlul Huq government in Bengal.
- From 1943 to 1945 he remained as Minister of the civil supplies in Khawaja Nazimuddin’s government.
- After the election of 1946 his party Bengal Provincial league won the election with great victory. Out of 119 seats BPML won 113 seats and he became prime minister of undivided Bengal from 1946 to 1947 after Khwaja Nazimuddin. In this election he had a lot of support from Jinnah.
- He was not in favor of partition of Bengal. He demanded that United Bengal should be made a separate state. Congress strongly opposed it. In 1947, Bengal Assembly voted in favor of partition.
- After partition he remained in India for a few years. Later he settled in Karachi and joined the Awami League in 1949.
Suhrawardy as Member of Constituent Assembly
He became Minister of Law in December 1954 under the second Constituent Assembly and then in 1955 he became the Leader of the Opposition.
Suhrawardy as Prime Minister Pakistan
In 1956, he became the Prime Minister of Pakistan after the coalition between Awami League and Republic Party. He remained Prime Minister from 12-September 1956- 17-October 1957. From the beginning, he took the initiative to reorganize, reform, and increase the military forces. He also established a nuclear war strategy against India and adopted supply-side economics programs. He founded the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission(PAEC) in 1956.
He was the first Pakistani Prime Minister to visit China to promote Sino-Pak relations, and he was the pioneer of Pakistan’s long-standing relationship with the United States.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy death
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy death happened due to heart attack in Beirut, Lebanon on December 5, 1963. His grave is in the three leader Mausoleum, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy and his ministry,Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was chief minister of,Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy was chief minister of,Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy belong to which province,Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy belong to which province